This course is designed for physical, occupational therapists and speech pathologists who treat children with severe physical disabilities. The course includes lecture, labs where participants treat each other, problem solving and goal setting using videotapes, and treatment demonstrations by the instructor. This course reviews the concepts for evaluation and treatment of severely physically disabled children. Focus is on proper utilization of services and techniques for respiratory, posture and movement for treatment results. Emphasis of evaluation and assessment focuses on basic life support skills, such as respirations, cognitive/language abilities and impairments, and arousal/ attention states. Therapists learn examples of common functional outcomes desired in people with severe impairments and are provided with written treatment ideas augmented by line drawings. There are many examples of treatment ideas for respirations, including ribcage and thoracic spine mobility, facilitation of postural/ respiratory musculature for efficient respirations, and treatment ideas for head/ neck trunk alignment for oral control and swallowing.
1. Set a functional goal for at least three children who are severely physically disabled seen in treatment demonstration or on videotape for: a. one treatment sessionb. one monthc. one yeard. ten years
2. List at least five unique physical problems that the child with severe physical disability is likely to have as an adult.
3. List 3-5 reasons for setting treatment frequency, initiation of services, and discontinuation of services for the child with severe physical disabilities.
4. Write and sequence a treatment plan after a functional goal is set for one treatment for a child seen on videotape.
5. Demonstrate on an adult lab partner at least 3 treatment techniques for each of the following:
a. changing respiratory rate and pattern
b. facilitating sustained postural muscle activity
c. facilitating movement of the shoulder, trunk, and hip
Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Speech Therapists
Cvent Online Event Registration Software | Copyright © 2000-2016 Cvent, Inc. All rights reserved.