This three-day professional development seminar is designed for junior faculty (senior clinical and research fellows, instructors, and assistant professors) and post docs (MD, MD/PhDs and PhDs) who aspire to leadership positions in academic medicine.
Seminar objectives include:
- Assisting participants in identifying their professional development goals and designing a career path, and the tools on how to get there
- Providing attendees with an understanding of the realities of advancement in academic medicine through the exploration of the requirements for appointment, promotion, and tenure, as well as assisting attendees in planning their own progress through the system
- Developing key professional competencies in academic and organizational leadership
- Building skills in grant writing and communications
- Helping participants expand their network of colleagues and role models
- Sign up for small group career consultation sessions that include career related questions, career plans, and draft grant applications.
- Opportunity to apply for a K-Writers Coaching Group, to include a pre-Seminar workshop, and virtual group sessions as needed for 2 -3 months. Interested applicants for the K-Writers Coaching Group can find the program description here. Please note that the application deadline for the K-Writers Workshop is August 9, 2013.
Registering for the meeting:
A letter of support from your home institution prepared by your Chair, Division Chief, or Dean is required to complete your registration. The letter should include the following elements:
- How your attendance will benefit your career development and the institution
- An agreement to provide financial support (e.g. registration fee, travel and accommodations) and protected time for attendance
- The institutional leaders’ commitment to meet with the attendee three months after the Seminar to ensure his/her continued support of career development goals and preparedness for promotion and tenure.
The letter should be a maximum of two pages in length, and must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format. You will be required to upload a letter of support in order to complete your online registration.