Please join the City of San José, The Aerospace Corporation, the Mineta Transportation Institute, and the National Academy of Public Administration for the Public Sector Innovation Workshop, a gathering of industry, government agency, academic and community leaders seeking a means to accelerate the application of technological innovation to transportation, energy, the environment, and to many other collective-needs issues of national importance.
Initiated at the request of the City of San José for the original purpose of disseminating the results of its recent evaluation of Automated Transit Networks (ATNs), the workshop has been broadened to encompass public sector innovation in general, a field in which the City, as the “Capital of Silicon Valley” is establishing itself as a leader.
Innovation in the public sector is challenging, to say the least:
- Taxpayers want to ensure tax dollars are spent wisely.
- Municipalities are limited by ever-tighter budgets at the federal, state, and local levels, and are in no position to assume the risks associated with adopting advanced technology.
- Collectively, the public sector lacks the means to effectively work with the private sector to conceive and drive the development of potentially useful advanced, large-scale technical systems.
The workshop will use the recent ATN evaluation experience of the City of San José as an example to discuss all of these issues, including the prospects for the future of ATNs themselves. More precisely, the purpose of the workshop is to:
- Provide participants with an opportunity to benefit from the lessons learned in the recently completed City of San José ATN Feasibility Evaluation.
- Assist participants in developing an understanding of the nature of ATNs, the state of the ATN art, the challenges that lie ahead, and future prospects in relation to other proposed transportation innovations and the existing urban environment.
- Engage participants in a discussion of an institutional model under development by the NAPA and Aerospace to accelerate public sector innovation - what it might look like, how it would work, who should be involved, and what steps should be taken to move forward.
More broadly, from the perspective of those in government, the purpose of the workshop is to:
- Envision accelerating public sector innovation as a means to create and maintain technology-based jobs in the U.S. while minimizing risk.
- Identify a path that can bring more private investment to the table for collective needs issues.
- Advance the development of ATNs and the ATN industry in the U.S.
For general questions regarding the workshop, please contact:
The Aerospace Corporation
Mineta Transportation Institute
City of San José
For questions regarding registration, please contact:
The Aerospace Corporation