You surely will not want to miss this year’s CRPGE Summer Forum in Washington, DC -- June 26-June 29.
Your CRPGE, governmental affairs and A۰P۰L۰Ucolleagues have put together an incredibly timely program featuringsome markedly unusual opportunities. With the long awaited release on June 14 of the National Academies’ report on research universities (Research Universities and the Future of America: Ten Breakthrough Actions Vital to Our Prosperity and Security); this year’s climax of the federal policy collision on budget, tax and appropriations; and the 150th anniversary of the Morrill Act’s inception of federal support for public higher education – we have much work to do in advocacy and a lot to consider.
Among the events during this meeting:
- A special activity (most likely a hearing) with the House Science Committee noting the contributions of research universities and how we might cope with the challenges facing our institutions
- Visits to your congressional delegations to advise on potentially drastic effects to your institutions should the Congress not resolve its looming budget impasse and instead allow automatic sequestration of federal agency budgets
- Joint Session on Engaged Research and Education with the provosts of the A۰P۰L۰U Council on Academic Affairs
- CRPGE sessions on the state of research universities, technology commercialization, analysis of budget/appropriations and potential consequences to federal programs, Circular A-21 Reform, and Data Challenges for Research Universities
- An extraordinary opportunity to meet science counselors from well over a dozen embassies from Europe and Asia at a specially hosted reception and dinner at the French Embassy for CRPGE and CAA
Please see the draft meeting agenda, now posted, here.
Also– don’t forget to register for the 2012 APLU Convocation: 150 Years of the Morrill Act: Advancing the Legacy – headlined by Bill Gates and featuring scholars, presidents, and members of the National Academies on Tuesday, June 26 – requiring separate registration – register here!