Primary Contact for Online Training
3 Steps for Online Training
- Get a copy of all the class handouts, either from a co-worker or by downloading and printing from this ESC Level 1-2 website. The handouts will help you follow along with the video training. You will also need your handouts and notes for the open book exam.
- On this website, click on the left hand tab labeled “Course Agendas and Downloads.”
- Find the agenda of the course you want to take.
- Click on every link in that agenda and print each document.
- View the training video on a computer with internet access. There is no login or password, and you can view them at any time, any place, alone or in groups. There is no registration for viewing the videos.
- Go to the video website: http://go.ncsu.edu/ncdot.certification.videos
- Click on the Certification Level course you want to take in the upper left box.
- Click on the title of the “Introduction” module, and watch the video.
- Proceed to click and watch each additional module in the class.
- Schedule a traditional paper exam or take the online exam whenever you are ready using the steps outlined below.
Primary Contact for Scheduling an Exam
3 Steps for Scheduling a Traditional Paper Exam
- Contact Joni, and coordinate an exam date. Joni can help to find a proctor near your location, or you can take the exam in Raleigh by appointment.
- Begin processing the approval of your certification fee through your bookkeeping office. Certification fees are due at the time of the exam.
We accept checks, Visa, or Mastercard.
Level 1 & 2 (Initial Training): $125/person
Level 1-R & 2-R (Recertification): $75/person
Make checks payable to: NC State University (FID: 56-6000756)
- Check in and take your exam. Please arrive early for your exam. Upon arrival, you will be asked to complete a registration form with full contact information. Payment is required at the time of the exam. You will have 1 hour to complete the exam.
Remember to bring:
- Certification fee (check, Visa, or Mastercard)
- Course handouts and notes
- #2 Pencil
Joni Tanner or Kathryn Luxford
919-515-7154 or 919-513-1678
Primary Contact for Taking an Online Exam
Before attempting to take an online examination, the individual must have a personal working email account and be comfortable using computers for online activities. The process outlined below is not terribly difficult, but is complex enough that anyone who is uneasy using computers or the internet should probably not attempt this exam; or at the very least have someone more experienced walk them through the registration process.
Steps for Taking an Online Exam
- Go to this website: https://moodle-projects.wolfware.ncsu.edu
- Click “Guest Login”.
- Click Create a New Account. Note: You must have your own personal email address to create a Moodle account.
- Complete the form for a new Guest User Account.
- Watch for a Moodle account confirmation email from LearnTech (Subject: Moodle Projects) in your email Inbox. (If you don’t see it, check your Junk Folder.)
- Open that email message, and click on the account confirmation link, which will activate your new Moodle account.
- Click on the Courses button. In the search box, type “erosion” and click “Go”.
- Click on the “NCDOT Erosion and Sedimentation Control/Stormwater Certification Program”.
- Look in the left hand column and find the gray bar labeled Settings. You might need to scroll down to find the Settings bar. Click on “Enroll me in this course.” Then, after scrolling back up, if a button labeled "Enroll me" appears in the center of the page, click on that as well.
- Click on the Certification Level of the exam you want to take, read the instructions carefully, and complete your exam.
- Download your certificate to save, and then print a copy of your certificate as temporary proof that you passed the exam.
- Get an Official Certification Card:
Email the saved copy of your online certificate as an attachment to Joni Tanner: email@example.com
In the body of the email, please include your:
If you are not personally responsible for paying the registration fee, then simply tell us who we should contact to discuss payment.
- Full name
- Company (if DOT, include Division Number)
- Mailing Address (this can be your company’s address if you’d like)
- Phone Number
- Level of Certification or Re-Cert you passed
- Date of your Exam
- Fee Payment Information (see Step 13)
Your name will be added to the certification list, and a card will be issued through regular mail. The certification lists are updated and cards mailed quarterly.