3 credits (3 didactic hours)
Presented: In Class
Available: November 7 - 10, 2016 8:00am - 5:20pm
This course is the first in a three-course specialty sequence for Registered Nurse First Assistant (RNFA) students. This course is designed to provide the student with a comprehensive understanding of the perioperative process, building upon knowledge of anatomical structures and physiology, indications for surgical intervention, assisting considerations, and evaluation of postoperative patient outcomes. Students will synthesize the three dimensions of Socialization Theory, professional socialization, organizational socialization, and role socialization, as it pertains to the role of the RNFA. Emphasis will be placed on knowledge specific to the role of the RNFA in the management of patients across the preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative phases. This course will also provide an in-depth analysis of the legal, regulatory, and professional issues associated with the role of the RNFA. This course may be taken as an elective in the RN to BS and the masters programs. It is also open to non-matriculated students. Minimum of 50 clinical hours will be obtained.
Instructor: Sabrina Fisher
Required Texts: 1. Rothrock, J.C., & Seifert, P.C. (Eds.). Assisting in surgery: Patient-centered care. USA: Competency & Credentialing Institute (CCI).
2. AORN, (2015). Perioperative Standards and Recommended Practices. Denver, CO: AORN, Inc.
3. AORN, (2014). Core Curriculumfor the RN First Assistant. (5th) Denver, CO: AORN, Inc.
4. A clinical surgery text of choice. (we recommend• Phillips, N. (2007). Operating Room Technique (11th ed.). Philadelphia. PA: Mosby.• Rothrock, J. (2007). Alexander's Care of the Patient in Surgery (13th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Mosby.• Harken, A. H., & Moore, E. E. (2009). Abernathy's Surgical Secrets (6th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Mosby.
5. A physical assessment text of choice.
6. An anatomy and physiology text of choice.
Price: $3500. For information on University of Rochester Tuition Benefits, visit the Tuition Benefits homepage.
Registration for Matriculated Students
Registration for Non-Matriculated Students
Cvent Online Event Registration Software | Copyright © 2000-2017 Cvent, Inc. All rights reserved.