CE Hours: 11 Lecture/Hands-On
Anita Gohel, BDS, PhD, diplomate, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology and Oral Medicine; director, oral diagnosis and radiology and associate professor, department of general dentistry, Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine
Mary Ellen Sholes, AAS, dental radiology technologist, Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine
The radiographic examination plays a vital role in the diagnostic process in a dental office. Participants will expose, process, mount, and evaluate the radiographs using mannequins. This course can be used as a review for dental assistants planning to take the Dental Assisting National Board Exam (DANB), to become a certified dental assistant (CDA), as well as for practicing dental hygienists who wish to update their skills in radiology. Dental assistants who successfully complete this entire program will be qualified to expose radiographs in Massachusetts according to the Board of Registration in Dentistry.
- Review the principles of X-ray generation and image formation and intraoral anatomy
- Learn to provide infection control and quality assurance
- Understand intraoral radiographic techniques
- Learn film processing and duplication as well as digital and panoramic radiography
- Determine how to mount and analyze radiographs
- Provide radiation protection and safety
- Become familiar with ALARA guidelines and state regulations
- Take and pass a written examination
- Perform satisfactory periapical and bitewing radiographs using the paralleling technique
- Demonstrate how to properly process film and how to mount and label radiographs
- Become familiar with dental occlusal, panoramic, and cephalometric radiographs
- Be able to self-analyze and rectify radiographic technical and processing errors
Recommended Audience: Assistant, Hygienist
Lunch is included on the day of the lecture session only.
Call (800) 342-8747 ext 250 for information on cancellation due to inclement weather. Full cancellation must be requested 10 days before the event for refund consideration.
CEUs are subject to final approval of the Board of Registration in Dentistry and DANB