This event is closed. If you have any questions, please contact the event planner directly.
This six-hour workshop is designed for frontline substance abuse counselors and others who work directly in any setting with people negatively affected by the use of alcohol and/or other drugs. It focuses on three basic skills: asking about suicide, monitoring for emerging suicide risk, and safety planning. It DOES NOT COVER clinical assessment, counseling, or treatment of suicidal clients. "Suicide Prevention Basics for Frontline Substance Abuse Workers” covers principles and practices based on sources that are evidence-based or are theoretically sound and widely used, such as SAMHSA's Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) 50; the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline's Suicide Risk Assessment Standards & Practices; the American Association of Suicidology's Consensus Warning Signs; and the Safety Plan Treatment Manual (Veteran Version). The workshop includes instruction, interactive exercises, discussion, and take-home tools..
Learn to: The “Suicide Prevention Tools” workshop will enable participants:
1. To understand the close relationship between substance abuse and suicide
2. To value their own knowledge and experience related to suicide and its prevention
3. To empathize with the point of view of someone who is suicidal
4. To recognize caregiver attitudes about suicide that might affect working with a suicidal person
5. To consider the value of a highly collaborative approach when working with suicidal people
6. To follow guidelines for asking someone about current suicide risk
7. To see the connection between people's behavior and suicide warning signs
8. To follow guidelines for helping a person use a safety plan 9. To identify sources of more information and resources for suicide prevention, intervention, and postvention
Presented by:Franklin Cook, MA, CPC, Unified Community Solutions
Click here for Bio of Franklin Cook
Click here for a printable registration form if you do not wish to proceed with on-line registration: #353 Registration Form
Thursday, April 13, 2017 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
The Beechwood Hotel363 Plantation StreetWorcester, Massachusetts 01605
Cvent Online Event Registration Software | Copyright © 2000-2017 Cvent, Inc. All rights reserved.