Managing and maintaining healthy, high-producing honeybees continues to occupy the minds of the best beekeepers. Worldwide, honeybee numbers, adequate insect pollination for food crops, and honey production continue to decline. While research has provided many answers, success in beekeeping lies with healthy bees, good nectar flows, and knowledgeable honeybee managers.
Penn State Extension and experts from local beekeeping organizations and the Pennsylvania State Beekeepers Association are again pleased to offer the Western Pennsylvania Beekeeping Seminar, aimed at addressing these concerns in an atmosphere of creative idea sharing to improve the knowledge and management skills of those who attend. The speakers for this year's seminar include:
- Randy Oliver - Grass Valley, CA scientific beekeeper, author, and practical beekeeper
- Mike Palmer - Vermont beekeeper and advocate of sustainable beekeeping
- Karen Roccasecca - Pennsylvania State Apiarist
- Doug Oster - Writer; Co-host of KDKA Radio's The Organic Gardeners
- Craig Cella - Loganton, Pennsylvania beekeeping entrepreneur
- 2014 Pennsylvania Honey Queen
- Jim Hoffman - Beaver Valley Area Beekeepers Association
- William Kopar - Natrona Heights, Pennsylvania beekeeping entrepreneur
- Barry Leicher - West Central (Pennsylvania) Beekeepers Association
- Lee Miller - Beaver Valley Area Beekeepers Association
This event is cosponsored by Penn State Extension, Burgh Bees, and Beaver Valley Area Beekeepers Association.