Meeting Planning in Charlotte, NC
Charlotte Convention Center
Conveniently located in Uptown Charlotte, just 7 miles from Charlotte Douglas International Airport and within walking distance of 5,601 Center City hotel rooms, the Charlotte Convention Center opened in 1995 as the city's premier meeting and convention space. The facility offers an award-winning, full-service, in-house catering department, concierge service, a visitor information center, a gift shop, and a preferred in-house audiovisual provider with complete inventory of equipment and professional technicians. The Charlotte Convention Center has become one of a growing number of large convention facilities across the United States and the first in North Carolina to "go green." In addition to procedures implemented like the usage of biodegradable cups made from corn products, the facility has gone the extra mile and added substantial recycling programs, environmentally friendly cleaning products, and energy-saving initiatives.
The Charlotte Convention Center currently features:
- 550,000 square feet of total space
- 280,000 square feet of exhibit space (which can be separated into four halls)
- 126,500 square feet of meeting room and ballroom space and 40 breakout rooms (37 meeting rooms and 2 ballrooms that can be divided into three)
- 90,800 square feet of prefunction space (adjacent to meeting rooms and ballrooms)
Beginning in summer 2019, the Charlotte Convention Center will undergo a $115 million expansion that will be available for contracting in summer 2021. The convention center will remain open and be able to accommodate groups in the unaffected meeting and exhibit spaces.
- The expansion will add more than 50,000 square feet of meeting room and prefunction space, bringing the total sellable square footage to about 600,000 square feet.
- There will be 54 total individual breakout spaces (up from 40), which includes 50 meeting rooms and the ability to divide the 35,000-square-foot Richardson Ballroom into four 7,700-square-foot breakout spaces.
- Additional flexible meeting space related to the expansion will include two 10,000-square-foot spaces, each divisible into 19 different configurations with seating capacities from 200 to 1,200 theater-style.
- An over-street pedestrian walkway will be added to The Westin Charlotte, along with two new hotels that are part of the Crescent Communities mixed-use development and the LYNX Blue Line light rail Stonewall Station, which provides access to abundant dining, retail, and nightlife.