- Space (Outdoor)
- Space (Private)
- Wheelchair accessible
Paisley Museum, Scotland’s first municipal museum, designed by John Honeyman, was opened in 1871. Peter Coats, partner in the large firm of thread makers J&P Coats, as the donor. This, together with the considerable collections amassed by the Paisley Philosophical society since 1808, made the venture possible. The building also held a full library. In 1882, art and sculpture galleries were added, again paid for by Sir Peter Coats. The building was once more extended in 1901 and 1933 and included Library extensions. New shawl galleries were added in 1974. In addition to its other major collections, the museum, naturally, has the finest collection of Paisley shawls in the world.
Current opening hours are Tues – Sat 11am – 4pm and Sun 2pm – 5pm. Public Holidays 11am – 4pm.