Are you an event planner or marketer who wants to get the best out of ChatGPT? Then you'd better learn how to write rock star prompts. Great prompts can turn AI technology like ChatGPT into your very own virtual assistant.
Read on to learn how ChatGPT helped us create a (fictional) conference from scratch, the prompts we used, and best practices to get the most out of ChatGPT.
- 7 event planning and marketing use cases for ChatGPT
- 1. Brainstorming ideas
- 2. Venue sourcing
- 3. Suggesting an event theme
- 4. Creating a compelling keynote speaker introduction
- 5. Crafting sponsor email invitations
- 6. Devising FAQs
- 7. Compiling survey questions
- 10 top tips for writing successful AI prompts
- ChatGPT: Your FAQs answered
Coming up with fresh ideas for a new conference is no easy feat. There’s so much to consider, from creating a concept to delivering ROI. Luckily, ChatGPT is a great tool for brainstorming ideas. If you’re feeling stuck, use it to get your creative juices flowing.
I am an event planner. I would like to brainstorm ideas for a new event tech conference. The conference will attract event planners, event marketers and technology early adopters. I need 3 ideas to develop for the conference, which will be future-focused, inclusive and enable in-person and virtual delegates to take part. Please provide your response in no more than 200 words.
Why it works
- The prompt provides a clear context of the problem for ChatGPT.
- It also specifies how many ideas are needed, otherwise you’ll end up with a less manageable number of ideas to sift through.
Pro Tip – You may want to give ChatGPT the ‘persona’ for the role that you have. For example, you could state ‘you are an event planner and need to brainstorm ideas’ – , The trick is to try different approaches until you work out what works best as you experiment with prompt writing.
- Immersive Hybrid Experience Hub: Create a cutting-edge conference hub that seamlessly blends physical and virtual realms. In-person attendees can interact with holographic speakers, while virtual participants use augmented reality (AR) or virtual reality (VR) to navigate the venue and engage with others. This inclusive approach caters to tech enthusiasts and event professionals worldwide. Workshops on AR/VR integration and networking across digital and physical spaces would be central.
- AI-Powered Personalization & Sustainability Summit: Focus on the future by exploring how AI can enhance event personalization. Attendees can experience tailored agendas, matchmaking, and content recommendations. Address sustainability by showcasing eco-friendly tech solutions like carbon-neutral streaming and AI-driven waste reduction. Invite influential speakers to discuss AI ethics, and sustainable event planning.
- Tech Playground & Innovation Challenge: Foster innovation by organizing a tech playground where attendees can experiment with emerging event technologies. Host an innovation challenge that invites tech startups to pitch their solutions for event planning and marketing. Encourage collaboration between event planners and tech early adopters to envision and build the events of the future. This setup fosters inclusivity, as both physical and virtual participants can participate in hackathons, demos, and startup pitch sessions.
These ideas provide a glimpse into the future of event tech while ensuring inclusivity and a blend of in-person and virtual experiences.
With many venues to choose from, sourcing the right one is time consuming. By being specific in your prompt writing, you can quickly eliminate many which would have been unsuitable and focus in on the venues which are most likely to be the best.
I am an event planner. I am producing a new event tech conference. The conference will attract event planners, event marketers and technology early adopters. The conference will be future focused, inclusive and enables, in-person and virtual delegates to take part. There will be around 1,000 people attending virtually and 250 attending in person. The conference will be 2 days, and it will end with an awards ceremony celebrating the latest tech advances. Please provide suggestions of 3 venues in central London that have strong capability to handle this event. Need a plenary room, 3 break out rooms, internet, WI-FI, and access via wheelchair. Please summarise each venue in 75 words.
Why it works
- This prompt provides the chatbot with the numbers of in-person and virtual attendees which helps ChatGPT eliminate venues with insufficient space and poor internet capability.
- The prompt specifies the location - Central London - which enables ChatGPT to streamline the search further
Pro Tip – Always check the websites of venues offered for up-to-date information, especially if you’re using the free version of ChatGPT which only holds data up to 2021. It’s always a good idea to call venues directly to start negotiations.
Certainly! Here are three venues in central London that have the capability to handle your event:
- [VENUE NAME] London
- [VENUE NAME] London is a world-class conference centre located in the heart of London's Docklands. It offers a large plenary room with modern AV equipment, ideal for your main sessions. Additionally, there are multiple breakout rooms to accommodate concurrent sessions and discussions. [VENUE NAME] provides excellent internet connectivity and Wi-Fi throughout the venue. Accessibility is a priority with wheelchair access, making it inclusive for all attendees.
- [VENUE NAME]
- Situated in the historic heart of London, [VENUE NAME] is a versatile event space that can cater to your conference needs. It offers a spacious plenary room with advanced technology for presentations. The venue has three well-equipped breakout rooms for smaller sessions and discussions. High-speed internet and Wi-Fi ensure seamless virtual participation. [VENUE NAME] is wheelchair accessible, providing a welcoming environment for all attendees.
- [VENUE NAME]
- The [VENUE NAME] is a centrally located conference venue with a modern plenary room suitable for your main conference sessions. It offers three versatile breakout rooms for concurrent sessions and workshops. High-speed internet and Wi-Fi are readily available to support virtual attendees. The venue is fully accessible with wheelchair ramps and facilities, ensuring inclusivity for all participants.
Each of these venues in central London can accommodate your event's specific requirements and provide a future-focused, inclusive space for both in-person and virtual attendees.
Event professionals will be familiar with this scenario. Imagine you’re under pressure to quickly come up with an event theme, as the emails need to go out advising people to save the date. You have an idea about the conference content but can’t immediately come up with a theme that’ll excite your attendees. Worry not, just ask ChatGPT for help.
I am an event marketer. I would like to come up with an over-riding theme for a new event tech conference. The conference will attract event planners, event marketers and technology early adopters. The conference will be future-focused, inclusive and enables, in-person and virtual delegates to take part. Please provide your response in no more than 50 words.
Why it works
- Our prompt provides enough context but isn’t restrictive, enabling ChatGPT to come up with ideas.
- Sometimes ChatGPT can be too wordy, so we composed the prompt to keep the response under 50 words in order to get to the theme quicker.
Pro Tip – If you’re not happy with the response from ChatGPT, rephrase your prompt. Or you can click the Regenerate button. Experiment as needed until you get the response you’re looking for.
"TechHorizon: Bridging the Event Evolution" - Uniting event planners, marketers, and tech enthusiasts to explore the future of events. Embrace inclusivity, dive into hybrid experiences, and chart the path forward in the ever-evolving event tech landscape.
Let’s assume you’ve just secured a great keynote speaker for your conference. But now it’s time to write a compelling introduction for your host to read and you’re worried you won’t do the speaker justice. With the right prompt, ChatGPT can provide initial ideas for you to edit and adjust as needed.
I am an event planner. I am creating a new event tech conference. The conference will attract event planners, event marketers and technology early adopters. The conference will be future focused, inclusive and enables in-person and virtual delegates to take part. [SPEAKER NAME] will be the opening keynote speaker. [He/she] will talk about the need to embrace technology to move business and society forward. Please craft an introduction that the event host can read out as [SPEAKER NAME] is invited to the stage to speak. The introduction is to be no more than 2 paragraphs.
Why it works
- Our prompt provides information on the event and the speaker so that ChatGPT can understand the context in which this intro will be used.
- It also specifies the length of introduction you will need in order to prevent the AI from rambling.
Pro Tip – ChatGPT’s response may not fit the tone of voice you’re looking for. It’s therefore helpful to specify how you want the response to sound when writing the prompt, e.g. formal or informal. In your own prompts, you may need to include the name of your speaker so ChatGPT can source relevant information to craft your introduction.
Ladies and gentlemen, distinguished guests, and tech enthusiasts, I am thrilled to welcome you all to the inaugural [CONFERENCE NAME]! Today, we embark on a journey into the future of event technology, where innovation, inclusivity, and the convergence of physical and virtual worlds unite under one roof. Our mission is simple yet profound: to empower event planners, marketers, and early technology adopters with the tools and insights they need to shape the events of tomorrow.
To kickstart this extraordinary gathering, we are honoured to have a true visionary with us. [SPEAKER NAME] is not just a shrewd investor from the world of [INDUSTRY], but a pioneer in embracing technology to drive business and societal progress. Please join me in extending the warmest of welcomes to our opening keynote speaker, the one and only [SPEAKER NAME]. Today, [HE/SHE] will share his wisdom on why embracing technology is not just a choice but a necessity as we forge ahead into a brighter, more interconnected future. Get ready to be inspired, informed, and ignited with ideas that will shape the way we plan and experience events. Ladies and gentlemen let's give a thunderous welcome to [SPEAKER NAME]!
Your conference is taking shape and now it’s a question of encouraging sponsors to come on board. The problem is you’re deep in the weeds of all the other marketing activity. Still, you need to get a sponsor email out soon, as time is ticking for launch. ChatGPT can alleviate the stress by helping you come up with an initial draft that you can then tweak.
I am an event marketer. I am promoting a new event tech conference. The conference will attract event planners, event marketers and technology early adopters. The conference will be future focused, inclusive and enables in-person and virtual delegates to take part. [SPEAKER NAME] will be the opening keynote speaker. There will be around 1000 people attending virtually and 250 attending in person. The conference will be 2 days and it will end with an Awards ceremony celebrating the latest tech advances. There are a number of sponsorship opportunities. Please write an email aimed at event tech companies asking them to consider sponsoring an element of the event. The email needs to be professional and concise. No more than 3 headline reasons for sponsors to get involved. No more than 75 words.
Why it works
- The prompt accurately specifies the task, identifies the audience, and provides context.
- It asks ChatGPT to focus on just 3 headline reasons for sponsors to get involved.
Pro Tip – Always check whether the response generated from ChatGPT sounds like that of your organisation. You’ll need to edit any response to ensure that it adheres to your organisation’s tone of voice and brand.
Subject: Elevate Your Brand at the Future-Focused Event Tech Conference
Dear [Company Name],
We invite you to be part of the future at the Event Tech Conference, a dynamic gathering of event planners, marketers, and tech innovators. Here's why sponsoring our event is a strategic move:
- Visibility: Showcase your cutting-edge solutions to a diverse audience of 1,250 professionals, both in-person and virtually.
- Thought Leadership: Align your brand with innovation and progress alongside renowned keynote speaker [SPEAKER NAME].
- Recognition: Gain industry recognition by supporting the Awards ceremony, celebrating the latest tech advancements.
Join us in shaping the future of event technology. Contact us today for sponsorship details.
[Your Name] [Your Title] [Event Tech Conference] [Contact Information]
You need to provide attendees with lots of information to maximise their time at the conference. Going through everything to make coherent FAQs for them can take a lot of your precious time, but creating FAQs will help save you time in the long run. Use ChatGPT to generate your FAQs, and you can simply edit and adjust as needed.
Based on the previous information provided for the event tech conference please provide FAQs for event attendees. The conference will be held at [VENUE NAME], one of the main sponsors is [SPONSOR NAME]. [SPEAKER NAME] is the opening keynote speaker. The event takes place 21 and 22 March 2024. FAQs should fit one side of A4 paper.
Why it works
- This prompt asks for ChatGPT to recall previous conversation history, meaning you don’t need to restate it. Only do this if you are confident that you have provided enough information in earlier prompts for ChatGPT not to become confused.
- The prompt specifies the FAQs are for attendees, not sponsors, or exhibitors.
Pro Tip – Responses from ChatGPT will be in American English by default. Be sure to change to British English if needed. Also, Covid references are likely to come up when using the free version of ChatGPT. Edit this out as appropriate.
Event Tech Conference FAQs for Attendees
When and Where is the Event Tech Conference Taking Place?
The Event Tech Conference will be held on the 21st and 22nd of March 2024 at [VENUE NAME] is a state-of-the-art conference venue known for its excellent facilities and accessibility.
Who are the Main Sponsors of the Event?
One of the main sponsors of the Event Tech Conference is [SPONSOR NAME], a leading technology company in the event management and hospitality industries.
Who is the Opening Keynote Speaker?
[SPEAKER NAME], a renowned expert in event technology and innovation, will deliver the opening keynote speech. Don't miss this insightful and inspiring presentation!
How Can I Register for the Event?
You can register for the Event Tech Conference online through our website. Early registration is recommended as space is limited.
What is the Registration Fee, and What Does it Include?
The registration fee varies depending on the type of pass you choose. It typically includes access to all conference sessions, networking opportunities, the exhibition hall, and refreshments.
Is There a Student Discount Available?
Yes, we offer a special discounted rate for students. Please provide valid student ID during registration to avail of this discount.
What Should I Bring to the Conference?
Make sure to bring a valid photo ID, your registration confirmation, a notepad and pen for taking notes, and business cards for networking.
Is Food Provided at the Conference?
Yes, refreshments and meals will be provided during scheduled breaks. Vegetarian and vegan options will also be available. If you have specific dietary requirements, please let us know in advance.
What is the Dress Code?
Business casual attire is recommended. Be comfortable, but also remember that you may be networking with industry professionals.
Will there be Wi-Fi Available?
Yes, complimentary Wi-Fi will be available throughout the conference venue. Details on how to connect will be provided on-site.
How Can I Stay Informed About Updates and Changes to the Conference Schedule?
We will communicate important updates via email, so please ensure your email address is correct during registration. You can also check our website and social media channels for the latest information.
Is Parking Available at the Venue?
Yes, parking is available at [VENUE NAME], but it may be limited. We recommend using public transportation if possible.
How Can I Contact the Conference Organizers?
If you have any questions or need assistance, please email our support team at [firstname.lastname@example.org] or call [Phone Number]. Our friendly staff will be happy to assist you.
We look forward to welcoming you to the Event Tech Conference on March 21-22, 2024, for an enriching and memorable experience!
Coming up with relevant survey questions is key to gaining insights for future planning. You’ll want a focus on how your event and content landed with your attendees. Let ChatGPT show you the way by generating some key questions you can choose from and edit to use.
Please provide 5 key evaluation questions for attendees relating to content for the new event conference.
Why it works
- The prompt specifies that the content needs to be in the form of questions.
- It also identifies that these questions are for attendees.
Pro Tip – Question the response from ChatGPT. Are the questions provided, ones that will give you the best data insights you need? If not, amend or discard the question.
Certainly, when evaluating content for a new event conference, it's important to gather feedback from attendees to ensure the content meets their expectations and provides value. Here are five key evaluation questions you can ask attendees:
- Content Relevance:
- Did the content presented at the conference align with your expectations and needs?
- Were the topics and sessions relevant to your industry or area of interest?
- Speaker Effectiveness:
- How would you rate the effectiveness of the speakers in delivering their presentations?
- Did the speakers engage and hold your attention throughout their sessions?
- Content Quality:
- On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate the overall quality of the content presented (1 being poor, 5 being excellent)?
- Were the materials, such as slides and handouts, helpful in understanding and retaining the information presented?
- Takeaways and Actionability:
- Did you gain actionable insights or key takeaways from the conference content?
- Can you identify specific strategies or ideas that you plan to implement in your work or organization as a result of attending the conference?
- Session Variety and Format:
- Did you find a good balance between different types of sessions (e.g., keynote speeches, panel discussions, workshops)?
- Were there any specific session formats or topics that you particularly enjoyed or felt were missing?
These questions can help event organizers gather valuable feedback from attendees, which can be used to improve future conferences and ensure they continue to meet the needs and expectations of the audience.
Writing good prompts is the key to getting the most out of ChatGPT.
So, if you’re looking to use ChatGPT in your day-to-day work, it’s a good idea to set some time aside to experiment with generating prompts for this AI tool. It may take some time, but the payoff is valuable. The better prompts you write, the more you will be able to rely on ChatGPT as an assistant.
Take a look back through our example prompts above. What would you have changed? How else would you have approached composing the prompts?
Here are the 10 essentials for writing effective prompts
- Make sure your prompt is clear and unambiguous
- Provide background information to help ChatGPT understand context
- Rephrase and refine your prompts as it’s likely ChatGPT won’t get it right the first time
- Go back and forth as needed to be sure ChatGPT is answering your question
- Break complex questions into smaller, more digestible ones
- Ask open-ended questions
- Specify the length of response you want, such as the number of words or sentences, etc.
- Ignore the easy option of using ChatGPT responses verbatim; always edit
- Get ChatGPT to change any American English into UK English if required
- Provide prompts as if you’re speaking to a colleague; use natural language and full sentences
There’s a lot to consider when using ChatGPT. Here are some typical questions to keep top of mind for event planners and marketers.
1. What are the current limitations of ChatGPT?
The free version of ChatGPT only goes up to 2021. For more recent data, you’ll need to subscribe to the paid version.
Whichever version of ChatGPT you use, it often lacks a deep understanding of context, and it has limited memory of your conversation history. It can forget the context of earlier parts of the conversation, which can lead to confusion.
2. What are the key risks of using ChatGPT?
- ChatGPT’s training data is broad, which means it may not have up-to-date or in-depth knowledge in specialised fields or niche subjects.
- The content produced comes from what’s available on the internet, which is often not up to date. For example, a sponsor’s description could easily be out of date unless you have checked it’s accurate.
- Rather than asking clarifying questions, ChatGPT will try to guess your intent, potentially leading to incorrect responses.
- Sources need to be cited so as not to infringe copyright. Make sure to ask for the references from which ChatGPT has sourced its responses.
- Your company’s branding and tone of voice can easily be lost when you ask ChatGPT to write for you – which is why it’s important not to use what it gives you verbatim. Check everything thoroughly and edit where necessary to ensure it aligns with your usual tone of voice.
3. Can I put sensitive information in ChatGPT?
It’s not a good idea to put sensitive information into ChatGPT as it isn’t designed to handle such data securely. This could potentially lead to privacy concerns, data breaches and unauthorised access.
To protect sensitive data, it's crucial to use secure and trusted methods for data storage and processing. Avoid sharing such data with AI models unless you are confident in the security measures in place.
4. How will tools like ChatGPT change my role?
ChatGPT has the potential to impact the roles of event planners and event marketers in several ways, enhancing productivity and efficiency.
However, the human touch remains essential in event planning and marketing. You’ll still play crucial roles in strategy development, creativity, relationship building, and decision-making. Integrating AI tools should add to your capabilities rather than replace them entirely.
And let’s not forget ethical considerations, data privacy, and brand development fall within your remit and not that of a tech tool.
5. What other AI tools can I use?
If you’re looking to create content for your events, the Cvent AI Writing Assistant is a powerful tool.
It’s tailored specifically for event marketers and planners, helping streamline their communication. It offers templates and suggestions for event invitations, emails, and other event-related materials.
Developing the skill of ChatGPT prompt writing
Spend some time getting to know how ChatGPT responds to your prompts. Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts to success, so put time aside to play in the prompt-writing sand pit.
There’s little doubt that ChatGPT can help you with a wide range of event planning and marketing tasks. But remember it’s a tool and not a person.
So, persist, experiment, and see your prompt writing prowess improve.
Looking for more ways to use ChatGPT? Check out our on-demand webinar, Building a Webinar with ChatGPT, to learn how we used ChatGPT to build our own webinar, from content to promotion, and key takeaways for your webinars.