It’s easier to be more environmentally conscious at your events than ever before. Learn how you can make your event more "green,” from sourcing eco-friendly hotels and venues to waste reduction.
What to Listen for:
- Sustainability is a must-have. It isn’t a choice.
- A dump truck can hold 12 tons of waste
- 1 million people doing it imperfectly is better than a handful doing it perfectly.
- Climate change is real
- This industry greatly contributes to global emissions.
- Mitigate the waste.
- Reuse to reduce waste and cost.
- Encourage carsharing.
- Reduce signage, use apps and electronic signage that can be reused.
- Try to offer reusable cup options for coffee and water.
- FORO = fear of running out.
- 1.3 billion tons of food wasted.
- Cut down consumption of red meat by 90%
- Technology is a great enabler.
- If we know we’re going to create waste, what do we do with it?
- Start early with communication to share the green aspect of the event.
Who is John Kelly?
I'm many things; Senior Marketing Director for BCD M&E in EMEA, a dad, husband, cyclist, diver, skier and a bit of an eco-activist too (but definitely not a tree-hugger). I am utterly passionate about what we're doing to the planet and how we can all make a difference, especially within the M&E world. In 2018 I helped publish the BCD M&E ‘Green White Paper’ which aimed to provide a road map to more sustainable meetings and events, the paper has created significant movement to make a difference and I am utterly motivated about how we can all do this together, I genuinely believe that little steps can lead to big things.