A recent survey of event planners revealed that the greatest event planning challenges often revolve around two factors: time and money. These challenges can vary, depending on the stage in the event lifecycle, as well as the key stakeholder managing that stage.
Event Planning ChallengesIn their constant juggling of tasks, event planners identified the following challenges as most significant in orchestrating an event:
- Budget constraints
- Time pressures to complete their work
- Changing expectations of event owners
- Delays in getting guidance and decisions from event owners
Reality Check on What Matters MostEven though event planners worry about staying on budget, generating revenue and hitting their registration number targets, the survey found that the most important metric in gauging event success is the satisfaction of key stakeholders and event attendees.
- More than three-quarters of planners (81%) want to satisfy key stakeholders most
- Attendee satisfaction was also high at 76%
- In terms of financial impact, just under one-half (48%) placed importance on coming in at/under budget
- A similar number (47%) deemed valued revenue impact as a success measure
- Smaller numbers of event planners equate logistical considerations with event success; fulfilling a venue contract was important for 38% of planners, ahead of hitting registration numbers (31%)
- Compliance and low attendee attrition were lower priorities for planners