Cvent’s CMO Patrick Smith joins our podcast to discuss why events are an important part of a holistic marketing strategy, and how they are uniquely capable of delivering incredible returns when integrated as part of a multichannel marketing strategy. Plus, learn how planners can use this to better prove the overall value their events programs are having on their organizations.
What to Listen for:
- Event marketing is the entire spectrum of activities that align around an event to maximize effectiveness.
- Cvent runs over 1,000 events a year.
- Many companies don’t know how to build a total event program.
- People have a craving to do business in person.
- 35x more likely to get a positive response to a request if you ask it in person.
- Guesswork and opinions still dominate the event world.
- Technology is the key to proving event success.
- There’s nothing like the power of sales and marketing to drive action.
- Dropping business cards into a fishbowl is old school and takes forever to activate leads.
- GDPR and CCPA have big impacts on the business world at large.
Who is Patrick Smith?
Patrick Smith is the Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer of Cvent. He brings more than 20 years of experience developing and managing marketing strategies for enterprise software firms. Patrick is in charge of global marketing at Cvent, which includes the global development and execution of marketing campaigns and initiatives that deliver coordinated strategies for Cvent’s Event and Hospitality Clouds. Patrick leads more than 300 global marketers, including the Corporate Communications, Product Marketing, Events Marketing, Customer Marketing, Content Marketing, Creative, and Global Demand Center teams. Prior to Cvent, Patrick was the CMO at Deltek, a global enterprise software company with over 23,000 customers around the world, where he built and promoted Deltek's global brand. Before Deltek, Patrick held leadership roles at supply chain software leader Manugistics, Intel Corporation, and other industry-leading companies. Patrick has a bachelor’s degree from Penn State University and an MBA from the University of Maryland’s Robert H. Smith School of Business. He lives in Washington, D.C. with his wife.
Resources mentioned in the episode
- Learn about the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Learn about the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
- CCPA and You: How Data Privacy Laws Will Impact Your Event Strategy
- Event Marketing Strategy for Dummies
- Event Technology Management for Dummies
- Strategic Meetings Management for Dummies
- Demystifying Event Marketing