From jaw-dropping design to the true feeling of adventure, travelers often rave about the magic of ice hotels. Given how mysterious they are (many melt and are rebuilt year after year), it’s no surprise why people are curious about them. If you’re one of those people, then good news: We’ve created a list of some of the top ice hotels around the world. Choose from any of these stunning frozen wonderlands for your next vacation, work event, or wedding, and see for yourself why this bucket-list item is so cool — literally.
But first, how cold is it in an ice hotel, really?
No one wants to turn into a popsicle during their vacation. But if you’re interested in booking an ice hotel, don't worry. Most rooms are heated between 17 and 23 degrees Fahrenheit, although it varies from hotel to hotel. Still a little chilly for your comfort level? Sleeping bags with advanced technology and some warm clothing is more than enough to keep guests toasty throughout the night. Ice hotels also typically offer warmed reception and activity areas where you can hang out if you need extra heat.
Now that you know a little bit more about the temperature of ice hotels, let’s dive into some bookable spots worth snagging.
Discover 12 of the coolest ice hotels around the world:
Ice hotels are located all over the world. The following list includes some of the most popular and interesting options alongside important details you need to know before you consider making the trip.
Nestled in snow-covered mountains, this ice hotel is part luxury suites, part outdoor adventure park. Guests can snow raft, ski, tube, skate, climb, and ride snowmobiles all in the same day. Their rentals are located at the top of the mountain range, promising wicked views and drops. The rooms themselves are, of course, built of ice, with walls and hand-carved furniture made by ice artists.
- This true ice hotel is rebuilt every year out of snow and ice blocks that are extracted from the largest glacial lake of the Fagaras Mountains, Balea Lac.
- Guests can enjoy the gorgeous views of the Fagaras Mountains that surround the property.
- Hotel of Ice features an ice restaurant and bar that respects the ancient Transylvanian recipes.
This ice hotel is a genuine work of art. Year after year, local artists carve fascinating ice drawings into the freshly rebuilt igloos and suites. Mini pine trees dot the inside of the hotel, where you’ll also find hot tubs and original ice sculptures.
- They use light in artistic ways to bring ice sculptures to life.
- There are 21 different suites, each with its own type or theme.
Of all of the ice hotels around the world, perhaps the most well-known is Sweden's Icehotel. Dubbed the "world's first and largest hotel built of snow and ice," Icehotel has been welcoming visitors for over 30 years. What makes Icehotel extra special is that it’s part hotel, part ice and snow art installation. Their curated exhibits are constantly changing so you never know what you’ll find when you walk through the doors. Guests can choose to stay in traditional hotel suites or they can spend the night among the ice art. For the true ice hotel experience, book their limited-time igloo rooms before they melt.
- During the warmer months, guests can enjoy their permanent ice hotel — Icehotel 365 — complete with an ice bar and fascinating art museum.
- Icehotel puts a focus on sustainability, noting that the hotel is "built on the premise of the environmental cycle, and our relation to the water and the ice is central."
Although it’s temporarily closed during warm months, guests can look forward to booking this stunning ice hotel in the winter. Activities range from snowshoeing to curling competitions. Guests can even try their hand at igloo building which, at the very least, will increase their appreciation of how challenging they are to build as they fall asleep in one later that night.
- Iglu Village is located in a prime ski area.
- Their "romantic" igloos include a hot welcome drink, a cheese fondue dinner, a snowshoe walk under the stars, and more.
Not a fan of ice block mattresses? Then consider one of this ice hotel’s amazing glass igloos instead. If you go at the right time of year, you can see the Northern Lights. Some combination chalet and glass igloo suites even have their own fireplaces and kitchenettes.
- Hotel Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort also offers rustic cabins.
- They’ve created a full home for Santa that the whole family can enjoy.
Unlike some other ice hotels that are a little tricky to get to, the Sorrisniva Igloo Hotel is located close enough to the city that it’s easy to commute but far enough away that you can feel like you’ve escaped into nature. In addition to their ice and snow suites, they also offer activities like Northern Lights viewing, local cultural events, and even riverboat adventures.
- This location is so perfect for viewing the Northern Lights that there is a permanent scientific study set up there.
- Animal lovers, take note: They also have dog sledding and reindeer encounters.
The SnowVillage is a unique, one-of-a-kind experience because year after year they completely change the entire design of it as they rebuild for the cold season. Like other ice hotels around the world, they offer ice rooms, restaurants, and bars. But SnowVillage also offers private cottages with outdoor hot tubs overlooking the slopes that surround the hotel. Some spaces even have full-size kitchens for people traveling in groups.
- SnowVillage offers wedding services, including an ice chapel where couples can say their "I Dos."
- Snowmobile and snowshoe tours are popular activities.
This winter wonderland offers tons of nature, zero crowds, and beautiful views of the Northern Lights. They have cabins and snow rooms for guests who want the best of both worlds. If you want to sleep in a sleigh bed carved entirely from a single block of ice, this is the place for you.
- They offer unique experiences including a King Crab safari, a husky mountain hike, and much more.
- Breakfast is included but they also have an onsite restaurant.
Love winter and the sea? You can have both on your next vacation at this seafront ice hotel. They now offer SnowExperience365, a year-round exhibition in their main hall for guests to walk around even during the summer months.
- SnowCastle is open every day of the year.
- There’s a tube slide made out of ice guests can zoom down.
Chena Hot Springs Resort is home to the world-famous Aurora Ice Musem, which offers four hotel rooms located inside. They harvested over 1,000 tons of snow and ice to create the entire cathedral-like building. Here you’ll find ice sculptures, parka rentals, and a bar that serves martinis in glasses carved out of ice. One reviewer on TripAdvisor said, "(This is) my third ice museum and this one is hands down the best … puts the Vegas ice bar to shame."
- The Aurora Ice Museum is dubbed the world’s largest year-round ice environment!
- The Aurora Ice Museum features an ice chapel for couples to "renew your vows or plan your wedding."
Surprised to see Emerald Isle on the list? Although the rooms themselves aren’t made of ice, they offer floor-to-ceiling windows that look out over the frosty banks of Moy. Offering both modern and heritage-style suites, the Ice House Hotel leans into its theme in many ways. From their Wild Atlantic cuisine to their ice-themed spa, this ice hotel offers a peaceful retreat.
- For additional entertainment, try golfing, fishing, or hiking around the local beaches.
- Their spa advertises an intriguing indoor-outdoor blend of services with locally-sourced products.
Located for a limited time in Hoshino Resorts' Ice Village, this ice hotel features a dome-shaped ceiling, walls, and furniture made from ice. "Inside the dome is a quiet space since the thick ice blocks the sound from outside. In the sleeping bags for extreme cold, you will have a warm and comfortable sleep till the next morning," reads a section on the Ice Village's website.
- The Ice Village includes tons of different events and amenities, including an Ice Milk Cafe, Ice Fruit Shop, Ice Bar, Ice Chapel, Ice Atelier, and much more.
- Guests can relax in the ice-made outdoor Arctic Bath, which has a panoramic view of the surrounding birch forest.
Now you know all about the top ice hotels around the world!
Up next, check out examples of the best hotel website design from some of the world's top companies and properties.